Truth Always Prevails

(They say): "Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You. Truly, You are the Bestower," Aal-e-Imran [3:8]


As Easy as One Plus One
By
Selma A. Cook

I complained to my friend about the pain I felt.

“What kind of pain?” she asked.

“All kinds - physical, emotional… You name it, specially emotional pain.”

She looked at me for a while, raised her eyes toward the ceiling of the room, and then said:

“Have you ever felt numb?”

“Yes, many times,” I replied.

“Did you like that feeling?” she enquired.

“No, not at all,” I answered.

“So pain is better, isn’t it?”

I had to think about it, but the answer was obvious. Numbness is a symptom - an imbalance. So, it must mean that pain is part of the normal human state. I felt afraid.

“Do you mean that feeling pain is normal? Am I to except pain to be a part of my life?” I enquired.

“Yes, of course. But don’t just focus on the pain. There are many other feelings and sensations as well, but we tend to ignore them, and give our attention to the overwhelming and perhaps more frightening ones.”

Her words settled on me heavily. I certainly didn’t want to feel numb; I would much rather undergo the turmoil of emotional pain and loss than to be locked out of reality. Surely, it was better to be vulnerable. Realizing this gave me a sense of balance, despite the ache.

She could see that I was thinking deeply and added:

“You must accept pain, not fight it. Accept the state you are in.”

“But isn’t pain a warning signal that something is wrong?” I asked.

“Yes, but it might be your thinking that is out of balance. Regardless of your state, accept it and trust Almighty Allah, then He will help you to see the positive aspect that always exists in and around the hardship.”

“With every difficulty there is ease…” came the verse from the Qur`an to me.

“Yes, exactly. Anything that moves the heart is good for us. Everything in life has a positive or negative potential, and everything is created for the greater good. Even in death, flowers and plants grow on a grave. Nothing is wasted.”

“Even death is positive?” I asked.

“It is often sadness that moves the heart the most, even more than happiness. Sadness makes the heart softer while great happiness can sometimes make the heart hard, unfeeling and exultant.”

I understood the importance of having a heart that is soft and sensitive, so I could decipher the meaning of life, but it didn’t take away the emotional pain I was feeling. This pain was strong enough to engulf me. It threatened to overwhelm me leaving me hollow.

“Is there good in this feeling?” I wondered.

She continued:

“You live in your own internal world where you dream, perceive, decide and respond. What counts are the decisions you make, your intention and the effort you exert in striving to be a power of good in the world. Anything that pushes you towards that is ‘good’.”

“So all these feelings are good for me,” I said partly to myself.

“Look, you have pain, you don’t like it and you’re afraid of it, yet you hold onto it! You have to learn to let it go because you are not in control anyway.”

“Do I hold onto the pain?”

Can I do that I wondered.

“And it’s not just your own pain; you also have to feel the pain of others.”

“Mine is more than enough!” I declared, almost laughing. “More than enough!”

“When you feel the pain of others it helps you to bear your own.”

“How?”

“Well, look what’s happening now. You’re telling me how you feel; don’t you
feel better having done that?”

“Yes, actually I do,” I said in deep thought.

“And as I listen to you, I feel calmer and I feel less pain. We benefit each other.”

“Do you feel pain too?”

“Everyone feels pain.”

“Life is so hard.”

“Oh, come on. Don’t forget that everything has two sides. For all the marvelous emotions that can fill our being there is also darker emotions. You can never appreciate beauty, truth or joy without having experienced their opposites. If we only experience beauty and happiness, we would be angels! But remember Almighty Allah says that the righteous human being is higher than the angels – so feel your pain, enjoy it and grow through it!”

I closed my eyes and let the waves of pain wash over me. I didn’t resist them. I waited. They passed. I opened my eyes. There was calmness.

“So what did you learn?” she asked.

“I survived it. It passed. Everything changes.”

“Yes, accept change and accept yourself. It’s the only way you can start to build.”

I felt stronger. The pain had edged its way into the background, and left me with a sense of clarity-- tranquility.

“Where did you learn all this?” I asked. “Is there a book I should read?” As if anything could be so easy.

“No,” she laughed. “Allah the Almighty puts His signs in the universe all around us. Anyone can see them and understand them, even if he can not read!

It is up to us to comprehend the messages He sends to us and learn from them, or situation is repeated situations until we understand. Our ability to do this depends on the state of our heart.

"If you look back at your life, and compare yourself in the past with how you are right now, you will surely see many changes and developments. You are not the same person you were ten years ago. Try to remember the signs you had along the way. Try to remember what guided you,” she explained.

I could remember.

“Change is a part of life, don’t resist it. Learn to ride out whatever happens, and know that joy is contained in and around hardships.”

“Tell me about your life,” I asked her. “What was the changing point in your life?”

"There have been many really. I learned that helping others always brings about something positive.”

“Please explain.”

“Well, if someone comes to you with a problem that is counted as negative. Then you try to help them, comfort them, and support them then that is counted as positive.”

“But won’t the negative of that person counteract your positive?”

“Remember what you've learned about Math at school? A negative and a positive make a what?”

“A positive!”

“Yes. And a positive and a negative make a positive, and a positive and a positive make a positive…”

“Yes, only a negative and a negative make a negative,” I realized.

“That’s why we should always return evil – a negative – with goodness – a positive, then the whole thing will transform into something positive. Isn’t life amazing?”

“Most certainly. But you still haven't told me about the changing point in your life.”

“Oh yes, it’s quite a simple story really. There was a time in my life when I felt very depressed, almost broken. I felt like giving up. I’d lost faith in people and in myself. Yet deep inside I had this sense that I must never give up. Allah the Almighty guided me to a place that changed my life.”

“Where were you living at that time?”

“I was living in Malaysia. I visited a prison that had opened to the public as a touristic site. I went there alone because I wanted to see and feel what it was like for the inmates there long ago. I felt I was in my own prison; one I had built for myself.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I had constructed walls in my thinking, limiting myself and my choices. Telling myself that I can’t do this, and I can’t do that; that life is difficult, meaningless. I was always negative. I decided to face my greatest fear.”

“What was that?” I trembled at the thought. Isn't fear something to run away from?

"I went down into the depths of the prison into death row. In the room where they used to hang the prisoners there was a cage where the prisoner would stay for three days before his execution.”

“How awful!” I replied.
“I sat inside the cage and looked at the ropes hanging from the scaffolding. I imagined I was a prisoner there watching and waiting for my death to take place. I looked at the swinging empty ropes. I felt afraid. I felt more than afraid.

"I forced myself to stay there, and feel what the prisoners must have felt. My life flashed before my eyes. I felt regret, sorrow, and pain. I experienced what death must feel like. I have experienced it many times over.

" Then I told myself that I am lucky, so lucky because I am free to get up and leave. I wondered at how the prisoners would have wished for such a chance. I felt a wave of happiness and relief. I have never felt such happiness!”

“And this changed your life?”

“It certainly did. Every time I feel negative, I go to this place in my mind, and remind myself that I am free; that I still have time. That I can get up and leave, change, and my heart soars.”

“Such a negative place brought such a positive result.”

“Yes, that’s the lesson. Whenever you insert a positive, ,the negative changes, transforms – it disappears and becomes something that gives us life and spurs us on.”

Pasted from <
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1237705693235&pagename=Zone-English-Youth%2FYTELayout>

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Flag counter

free counters

About this blog

"Truthfulness leads to righteousness, and righteousness leads to Paradise"

Those who disbelieve and turn (men) from the way of Allah, He rendereth their actions vain. (1)
And those who believe and do good works and believe in that which is revealed unto Muhammad - and it is the truth from their Lord - He riddeth them of their ill-deeds and improveth their state. (2) That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood and because those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus Allah coineth their similitudes for mankind. (3) -Muhammad [47:3]

Search This Blog

Relieve Your Heart! Think Well of Others!

“Beware of assumptions, for assumption is the falsest of speech, and do not be inquisitive, and do not spy upon one another, and do not vie with one another, and do not envy one another, and do not hate one another, and do not shun one another; be fellow-brothers and slaves of Allah.” (Al-Bukhari: Book 8 Vol. 73 Hadith 92)

My Blog List

Popular Posts

سُوۡرَةُ البَقَرَة

لَا يُكَلِّفُ ٱللَّهُ نَفۡسًا إِلَّا وُسۡعَهَا‌ۚ لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتۡ وَعَلَيۡہَا مَا ٱكۡتَسَبَتۡ‌ۗ رَبَّنَا لَا تُؤَاخِذۡنَآ إِن نَّسِينَآ أَوۡ أَخۡطَأۡنَا‌ۚ رَبَّنَا وَلَا تَحۡمِلۡ عَلَيۡنَآ إِصۡرً۬ا كَمَا حَمَلۡتَهُ ۥ عَلَى ٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبۡلِنَا‌ۚ رَبَّنَا وَلَا تُحَمِّلۡنَا مَا لَا طَاقَةَ لَنَا بِهِۦ‌ۖ وَٱعۡفُ عَنَّا وَٱغۡفِرۡ لَنَا وَٱرۡحَمۡنَآ‌ۚ أَنتَ مَوۡلَٮٰنَا فَٱنصُرۡنَا عَلَى ٱلۡقَوۡمِ ٱلۡڪَـٰفِرِينَ (٢٨٦)
Allah tasketh not a soul beyond its scope. For it (is only) that which it hath earned, and against it (only) that which it hath deserved. Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget, or miss the mark! Our Lord! Lay not on us such a burden as thou didst lay on those before us! Our Lord! Impose not on us that which we have not the strength to bear! Pardon us, absolve us and have mercy on us, Thou, our Protector, and give us victory over the disbelieving folk. (286)

اللهممقلبالقلوبثبّتقلبيعلىدينك

Allahumma muqallibul Qulub thabit qalbi 'ala deenek.

"O turner of the hearts! Establish my heart upon Your religion."

sayyidul istighfar


"If a believer says this with complete faith and sincerity in the morning and dies before that evening, he will enter paradise. If he says it during the night and dies before the morning, he will enter paradise."

"O Allah!

You are my Lord.

There is no God except You.

You created me and I am Your slave.

To the best of my ability, I will abide by my covenant and pledge to You.

I seek Your protection from the evil of my own creation.

I acknowledge Your favors to me and I admit my sins.

So please forgive me for no one

can forgive sins except You."

Bukhari :: Book 4 :: Volume 52 :: Hadith 41

Narrated Abdullah bin Masud:

I asked Allah's Apostle, "O Allah's Apostle! What is the best deed?" He replied, "To offer the prayers at their early stated fixed times." I asked, "What is next in goodness?" He replied, "To be good and dutiful to your parents." I further asked, what is next in goodness?" He replied, "To participate in Jihad in Allah's Cause." I did not ask Allah's Apostle anymore and if I had asked him more, he would have told me more.

`Ali ibn `Abu Talib.

"Do not ask these three kinds of people to statisfy your needs: the liar, for surely the will make things seem near when they are in distant; the fool, for surely he will want to help you, but will only harm you; and the man whose own need is linked to your needs, for surely he will use your need as a means to secure his own need"

Muhammed (PBUH)

Al-Anbiya [21:107]

And We have sent you (O Muhammad SAW) not but as a mercy for the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinn and all that exists).

Al-Fath [48:8]Verily, We have sent you (O muhammad SAW) as a witness, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner

Aal-e-Imran [3:31] Say (O muhammad SAW to mankind): "If you (really) love Allâh then follow me (i.e. accept Islâmic Monotheism, follow the Qur'ân and the Sunnah), Allâh will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

99 Names Of Allah


Say: "Call upon Allah, or call upon Rahman: by whatever name ye call upon Him, (it is well): for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names."[Al Isra 17:110]

1

Allah (الله)

The Greatest Name

2

Ar-Rahman (الرحمن)

The All-Compassionate

3

Ar-Rahim (الرحيم)

The All-Merciful

4

Al-Malik (الملك)

The Absolute Ruler

5

Al-Quddus (القدوس)

The Pure One

6

As-Salam (السلام)

The Source of Peace

7

Al-Mu'min (المؤمن)

The Inspirer of Faith

8

Al-Muhaymin (المهيمن)

The Guardian

9

Al-Aziz (العزيز)

The Victorious

10

Al-Jabbar (الجبار)

The Compeller

11

Al-Mutakabbir (المتكبر)

The Greatest

12

Al-Khaliq (الخالق)

The Creator

13

Al-Bari' (البارئ)

The Maker of Order

14

Al-Musawwir (المصور)

The Shaper of Beauty

15

Al-Ghaffar (الغفار)

The Forgiving

16

Al-Qahhar (القهار)

The Subduer

17

Al-Wahhab (الوهاب)

The Giver of All

18

Ar-Razzaq (الرزاق)

The Sustainer

19

Al-Fattah (الفتاح)

The Opener

20

Al-`Alim (العليم)

The Knower of All

21

Al-Qabid (القابض)

The Constrictor

22

Al-Basit (الباسط)

The Reliever

23

Al-Khafid (الخافض)

The Abaser

24

Ar-Rafi (الرافع)

The Exalter

25

Al-Mu'izz (المعز)

The Bestower of Honors

26

Al-Mudhill (المذل)

The Humiliator

27

As-Sami (السميع)

The Hearer of All

28

Al-Basir (البصير)

The Seer of All

29

Al-Hakam (الحكم)

The Judge

30

Al-`Adl (العدل)

The Just

31

Al-Latif (اللطيف)

The Subtle One

32

Al-Khabir (الخبير)

The All-Aware

33

Al-Halim (الحليم)

The Forebearing

34

Al-Azim (العظيم)

The Magnificent

35

Al-Ghafur (الغفور)

The Forgiver and Hider of Faults

36

Ash-Shakur (الشكور)

The Rewarder of Thankfulness

37

Al-Ali (العلى)

The Highest

38

Al-Kabir (الكبير)

The Greatest

39

Al-Hafiz (الحفيظ)

The Preserver

40

Al-Muqit (المقيت)

The Nourisher

41

Al-Hasib (الحسيب)

The Accounter

42

Al-Jalil (الجليل)

The Mighty

43

Al-Karim (الكريم)

The Generous

44

Ar-Raqib (الرقيب)

The Watchful One

45

Al-Mujib (المجيب)

The Responder to Prayer

46

Al-Wasi (الواسع)

The All-Comprehending

47

Al-Hakim (الحكيم)

The Perfectly Wise

48

Al-Wadud (الودود)

The Loving One

49

Al-Majid (المجيد)

The Majestic One

50

Al-Ba'ith (الباعث)

The Resurrector

51

Ash-Shahid (الشهيد)

The Witness

52

Al-Haqq (الحق)

The Truth

53

Al-Wakil (الوكيل)

The Trustee

54

Al-Qawiyy (القوى)

The Possessor of All Strength

55

Al-Matin (المتين)

The Forceful One

56

Al-Waliyy (الولى)

The Governor

57

Al-Hamid (الحميد)

The Praised One

58

Al-Muhsi (المحصى)

The Appraiser

59

Al-Mubdi' (المبدئ)

The Originator

60

Al-Mu'id (المعيد)

The Restorer

61

Al-Muhyi (المحيى)

The Giver of Life

62

Al-Mumit (المميت)

The Taker of Life

63

Al-Hayy (الحي)

The Ever Living One

64

Al-Qayyum (القيوم)

The Self-Existing One

65

Al-Wajid (الواجد)

The Finder

66

Al-Majid (الماجد)

The Glorious

67

Al-Wahid (الواحد)

The One, the All Inclusive, The Indivisible

68

As-Samad (الصمد)

The Satisfier of All Needs

69

Al-Qadir (القادر)

The All Powerful

70

Al-Muqtadir (المقتدر)

The Creator of All Power

71

Al-Muqaddim (المقدم)

The Expediter

72

Al-Mu'akhkhir (المؤخر)

The Delayer

73

Al-Awwal (الأول)

The First

74

Al-Akhir (الأخر)

The Last

75

Az-Zahir (الظاهر)

The Manifest One

76

Al-Batin (الباطن)

The Hidden One

77

Al-Wali (الوالي)

The Protecting Friend

78

Al-Muta'ali (المتعالي)

The Supreme One

79

Al-Barr (البر)

The Doer of Good

80

At-Tawwab (التواب)

The Guide to Repentance

81

Al-Muntaqim (المنتقم)

The Avenger

82

Al-'Afuww (العفو)

The Forgiver

83

Ar-Ra'uf (الرؤوف)

The Clement

84

Malik-al-Mulk (مالك الملك)

The Owner of All

85

Dhu-al-Jalal wa-al-Ikram (ذو الجلال و الإكرام)

The Lord of Majesty and Bounty

86

Al-Muqsit (المقسط)

The Equitable One

87

Al-Jami' (الجامع)

The Gatherer

88

Al-Ghani (الغنى)

The Rich One

89

Al-Mughni (المغنى)

The Enricher

90

Al-Mani'(المانع)

The Preventer of Harm

91

Ad-Darr (الضار)

The Creator of The Harmful

92

An-Nafi' (النافع)

The Creator of Good

93

An-Nur (النور)

The Light

94

Al-Hadi (الهادي)

The Guide

95

Al-Badi (البديع)

The Originator

96

Al-Baqi (الباقي)

The Everlasting One

97

Al-Warith (الوارث)

The Inheritor of All

98

Ar-Rashid (الرشيد)

The Righteous Teacher

99

As-Sabur (الصبور)

The Patient One

Total Pageviews